SimplyFlo Series 2 - The mouthwatering Hommous
Updated: 6 days ago
Hommous is a global dish that is found in every country, every supermarket store, and many restaurants (prior to this unprecendented world pandemic) and as a key dish in many vegetarian diets.
The history of hommous dates back to thousands of years ago, and its origins and a national dish are from the East Mediterranean countries (Egypt, Lebanon and Syria). In recent decades it has been adopted by Turkey, Cyprus, Greece and Israel as one of their national dishes.
It is part of the daily Lebanese household lunch/dinner mezze, eaten on its own, or as an accompaniment, with flat Arabic bread.
Full of essential natural (organic) ingredients packed with excellent nutritional healthy benefits.
· Chickpeas (garbanzo beans): is high in fibre, a great source of iron (and other vitamins) - helps reduce cholesterol, and the beans have been proven to have cancer preventing properties.
An interesting cooking fact of chickpeas is that it is versatile and is used in the making of different types of sweets.
· Tahini is made from sesame seeds: is a great source of iron and other vitamins proving to help in reducing/protect against acute inflammation
· Lemon Juice – is rich in Vitamin C and an excellent ph balance (for the digestive system)
· Virgin Olive Oil –helps reduce heart problems– which is where many Mediterranean countries have it as part of their daily dietary food.
· Garlic: main ingredient that gives the flavour to hommous, and has been proven to improve blood pressure, cholesterol, and potentially lowers the risk of heart disease (and of course is perfect to eat and have around the house in abundance and at Halloween to ward off Dracula)
There are many varied recipes of the authentic hommous – such as with meat, with chilli, or pepper, or cucumber, or avocado, or beetroot.
Why not try it At ‘simplyflo – the art of Lebanese cuisine’, we make it the authentic way.